On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 07:19:34 +0200, someone wrote:

> You are perfectly correct, it was ed, not vi and sudoedit could be the
> solution, thanks.
> I will try to search the internet how to do the LD_PRELOAD trick with ed.

You cannot as LD_PRELOAD only works with dynamic executables and
ed is static.  The best you could hope to do is monitor it via
ptrace(2).  It's really a moot point since if you can write to files
as root you can trivially get a root shell other ways, such as
editing /etc/sudoers.

The reason we have sudoedit is that there is no safe way to constrain
what an editor run as root can do.

 - todd