Hi Alex,

Alex Greif wrote on Sat, May 02, 2015 at 12:27:07PM +0200:

> I follow current and rebuild kernel and userland as described faq5.html
> but I wonder about the following, that I could not find in the docs:
>
> can I recompile and install everything while all the daemons are still
> running (eg pf, httpd, spamd, relayd, dovecot, postgresql, ...)

If these are daemons used or testing, no need to bother.  The worst
thing that might happen is that a few of them crash or stop working
and you need to restart them afterwards.

If you are talking about a production server running all these
services, i wonder why you are compiling from source rather than
running snapshots anyway.

Compiling from source is for people doing active development on
major parts of the system (and even most of those run snapshots
rather than building from source, including most developers),
not for people who simply want to track -current.

> or is it better to stop all deamons that I started in rc.conf.local
> before recompiling,

That depends on the individual daemons and how they changed.  If a
particular daemon will get confused by the changes since you last
compiled, it may be necessary to restart it, and depending on the
way in which it might get confused, it might be helpful to stop it
before the "make install" step.  That will only be needed in a
minority of cases, though.

> or is it even better to boot into single user mode?

Definitely not.  Single user mode is for system maintenance,
not for doing real work.  I never tried such a crazy thing,
but i'd be quite surprised if "make build" went through in
single user mode at all.  I'd expect it to fail rather sooner
than later.

> Any tips on the prefered method is appreciated.

The way you ask your questions sounds as if you don't want to compile
from source at all but run snapshots.

Yours,
  Ingo