On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 7:27 AM, Alexandre Ratchov <a...@caoua.org> wrote:
> Does "cat /dev/audio0 >/tmp/foo" works (produces non-zero length
> file)?

No. However, the type of error depends on what state the system is in
(before or after aucat has been tried).

Immediately after reboot:

$ cat /dev/audio0 > /tmp/foo
cat: /dev/audio0: Device not configured

$ cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio # Results in the expected noise played
on the speakers.
^C

$ aucat -i test.wav # No sound, it just hangs.
^C^C

After the 'aucat' invocation the system appears to be in a different state:

$ cat /dev/audio0 >/tmp/foo # Different error message:
cat: /dev/audio0: Device busy

$ cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio # No noise this time.
-bash: /dev/audio: Device busy

 $ fuser /dev/audio*
/dev/audioctl2:
/dev/audioctl1:
/dev/audioctl0:
/dev/audioctl:
/dev/audio2:
/dev/audio1:
/dev/audio0: 31156
/dev/audio: 31156

$ ps ax | grep 31156
31156 ??  I<s     0:00.01 /usr/bin/sndiod
18289 p4  R+      0:00.00 grep 31156

This sequence is perfectly reproducible (after rebooting).

> Do you have a "disable the microphone" feature in the BIOS? maybe
> in some "security" section?

There is only one setting to enable/disable the audio device and it is
enabled. (I searched the menus exhaustively, including the security
section.)

In case it matters, the machine is a GB-BXi7-4770R.