On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 22:27:05 -0400
Nick Holland <n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:

> On 06/07/15 20:14, bytevolc...@safe-mail.net wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I noticed on http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BldGetSrc that
> > there is information about preloading the tree, but does not mention
> > that getting to -current requires -rHEAD at least the first time
> > using 'cvs update' after pre-loading the tree with the source files
> > from the last release.
> >
> > I discovered (the semi-hard way) that to get to -current, I needed
> > -rHEAD to be specified in the command line. This is after
> > pre-loading the tree, because the (src/sys/xenocara).tar.gz files
> > all have a check out of OPENBSD_5_7 (or whatever -stable release),
>
> Where did you get these source files?  Just checked the ones on the
> mirrors, they do not have such a tag on them.  I'll check the
> CDs..um...not tonight.
>
> I would much prefer using the -A option over -rHEAD, as your goal is
> to clear and ignore any release tags.

I am quite certain the ones I got were from the ftp mirror. I've had
them for almost a month, but I recall getting them from
ftp.iinet.net.au.

Now that you mention it, this is actually the first time I've
encountered such a thing while updating my copy of the source tree to
-current; I've never had to do this with tarballs of earlier releases.

> > frozen
> > to that point at the time of releasing. Running "cvs up" simply
> > gets me to the latest -stable.
>
> which...isn't a bad default, really (assuming the CDs shipped as you
> indicated)

I am in some agreement with this; it would certainly make it easier not
having to change the "-rOPENBSD_x_x" option in the .cvsrc every time
you upgrade.

> > My .cvsrc (between the hyphen lines):

> > # $OpenBSD: dot.cvsrc,v 1.1 2013/04/01 16:55:26 espie Exp $
> > #
> > cvs -q -danon...@anoncvs.au.openbsd.org:/cvs
> > diff -up
> > update -Pd
>
> for your purposes, I'd make that -PAd to clear the release tag.

Sounds like a plan to me.

> > checkout -P
> >
> > It seems the (src/sys/xenocara).tar.gz files are not
> > in the "snapshots" directory of any of the FTP mirrors I've seen.
>
> correct.
> This would wrongly imply that "This tar file was used to build these
> snapshots", and that would be wrong.  And...if you want to download
> the entire -current source tree, just do it with cvs(1).

True. I've always just been preloading the tree with the release and
running "cvs update" anyway.

> > Should this be mentioned in the documentation or is it just me?
>
> 5.1, under "Snapshots" kinda covers this, I think.
>
> Nick.

No mention of the sort of thing I was talking about over there; just a
description of -release, -current, -stable.

Anyway, thanks for the information. It's given me some food for thought.