Hi

Needing a backup connection to the internet, I decided to give the Huawei 909u-521 a try.

Hardware details: http://consumer.huawei.com/en/solutions/m2m-solutions/products/tech-specs/me909u-521mini-pcie-en.htm

It's mounted in a Soekris 6501 device.

During boot, the following information is given;

cdce0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 2 interface 0 "HUAWEI Technology HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/2.28 addr 2
cdce0: could not find data bulk in
ugen0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 2 "HUAWEI Technology HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/2.28 addr 2

A little more information..

$ usbdevs -dv
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x8086), rev 1.00
  uhub1
port 1 addr 2: high speed, power 500 mA, config 2, HUAWEI Mobile(0x1573), HUAWEI Technology(0x12d1), rev 2.28, iSerialNumber 0123456712ABCA17
   cdce0
   ugen0
 port 2 powered
 port 3 powered

So, the device seems to be detected, but some tweaking might be required.

" Many USB devices notoriously fail to report their class and interfaces correctly. Undetected products might work flawlessly when their vendor
     and product IDs are added to the driver manually."

Can anyone tell me how to move on from this point, what steps are needed to get the id's added manually?

--
Regards Brian