Karel Gardas [gard...@gmail.com] wrote:
> Honestly with ~20% provision, once your SSD starts to shrink down,
> it's already good enough to be put into dustbin.

The recent SSD endurance reviews on the review sites seem to show
that it takes a long, long, long time before the modern SSD indicates
that it has to remap blocks due to errors, except for the Samsung
TLC drives, which operate for a long time in this state. Most drives
appear to indicate few to no remaps until they are close to the
end of their useful life.

> Another question is of this buggy TRIM, but I'm afraid this may be
> hard fight even with replication and checksumming filesystems
> (ZFS/HAMMER/BTRFS).

The problem identified in this article is _NOT_ TRIM support. It's
"QUEUED TRIM" support. It's an exotic firmware feature that is BROKEN.
Suffice to say, if Windows doesn't exercise an exotic feature in PC
hardware, it may not be well tested by anybody!

Queued TRIM support is overkill. Regular TRIM support could be
achieved by just telling the drive which blocks are to be zeroed
during idle times with a stand-alone utility. That is the most reliable
way to use TRIM on all drives with the current state-of-the-art