On 21/06/15 06:17, Nick Holland wrote:
On 06/20/15 14:48, LÉVAI Dániel wrote:
Hi!

I'm planning to replace my OpenBSD media center, and was going to test
the new [1] RAID 5 features and functions, but I'm really unexperienced
in this field. How does this work; can I create a 4 disks RAID5 array
(w/ bioctl(8)) and then later just add another disk, and fdisk+growfs?
[1] - http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=142877132517229&w=2
I think you did some creative reading of that posting.

"Rebuild" means (in this context) replacing a failed disk, not
reorganizing the array over more disks.  Adding new disks to an existing
RAID5 another task (if anyone is even considering it).

Can I create a RAID5(4 disks) and a RAID0(2 disks) array and then create
another RAID0 from these two former softraids?
you mean, making a RAID0 from combination of two other softraids?  Yes
and no -- you can do it, but they don't auto-assemble.  I've done this
with softraid mirrored disks providing an encrypted softraid disk.  The
mirror auto-assembles at boot, but the encrypted layer has to be
manually activated after boot.  So, if you have some data that you want
encrypted, this can work -- but the os will probably have to be on
non-encrypted space, and you will activate the encrypted space
post-boot.  Maybe that's useful to you, maybe not.  In general, I don't
like systems that don't boot to a fully-functional state on their own.

Nick.

Sorry to hijack the thread but when I read that RAID5 was coming I had to test it in a VM. Unfortunately the bootloader can't read the disklabel for sr0a (the whole OS is on a 3 disk RAID5 softraid disk). Is this normal at this stage?

Cheers,

Noth