On 07/06/15 22:43, luke...@onemodel.org wrote:
I'm on OpenBSD 5.7 amd64, w/ all the latest stable patches.  When I simply
launch xfce (from ports), an xterm, and ~34 "xedit" windows, I get:
"Maximum number of clients reachedError: Can't open display: :0.0". I
think I also had the same problem earlier when running fvwm instead
of xfce.

I've searched thru code (not yet exhaustively), searched the mailing
lists, & the web with DuckDuckGo(DDG), and tried various things.
Most DDG search results talk about buggy apps, or closing
windows, but I don't think that's my problem as I don't have that
many windows open.

Three of the search results say this (though the info could be
old, by several years or more):
          "By default, the X server has a limit of just 128. In order to
           increase this limit, you need to run at least Solaris 8 or an
           earlier release with the Xserver patch applies that fixes bug:
           4185418 the X server should support more connections .Then
           change the Xservers configuration file and add the "-clients
1024"
           option to the X commandline."
However, I've passed "-clients 1024" to the startx command with no
effect, and I don't see that as a parameter in 'man X' or 'man Xservers'.
Maybe that parameter needs to go in a config file somewhere, but
I'm floundering at this point in the X config stuff.

When I searched through the xenocara code, I found that the error
comes from xserver/os/connection.c, where a constant "NOROOM"
contains the error message, and interesting functions being called
include AllocNewConnection, ErrorConnMax, and
InitConnectionLimits which is where the variable "MaxClients" is
being set.

When I opened enough "xedit" windows to reproduce the error, just
now, then closed one of them and ran "xwininfo -root -children|wc" I
got a result of 213.  Then I killed those 17 xedit windows (I have other
things open now also) and "xwininfo -root -children|wc" said 94.

That's about as far as I've got, since I'm new enough with this to
be unsure whether I'm going in a good direction, diagnostically;
my ignorance might be causing this to take longer than needed,
and I'm hoping not to have to run X in gdb....

I don't see anything interesting in /var/log/messages or in
Xorg.0.log: I think it's all just repeated output telling me it
un- and re-found my external USB mouse and keyboard.

Should I use sendbug for this?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!!

Luke

This might be login.conf / ulimit (man ksh) issue...

Fred