> I'm really happy with my old netbook though.  Guess what everything
> worked on it except wifi.  So I put trust into the same brand, and it
> has bitten me.  X won't work, the intel drm driver doesn't work.

I got more luck since I checked the technical specs before purchase.
Everything worked on my netbook bar the wired network which get a
driver soon after. Even the card reader, can you imagine.

The recommendation is to upgrade RAM to the size that the thing can hold.

Not being able to run X though is quite lacking in a device that is all
screen and wobbly keys, this is a major problem.

Which shows to find that on the low end of the market there is no such
thing as consistency between products of the same brand, but only
hardware matters.

You may even be surprised how different specs may be within the life
cycle of the same model.

Sticking to a brand is not wise. To prepare for this one checks fully
the specification of the hardware as actual devices rather than shopping
leaflet / marketing material.

The important part is that you get a dmesg in the shop from a flash
thumb-drive or ask somebody who has the same model for it. This may
trick you with revisions or sub-specification variety.

> So I'm somewhat disappointed but it's not the end of the world.

In case of disappointment, one can return it or do a quick re-sale, if
the advice was missed beforehand.

> BTW by the time someone said "don't buy brand" I already bought it.  It
> came shipped to me here this morning.

Yeah, I still regret not getting a refurbished / pre-owned Thinkpad,
mostly for the CPU, screen pixels and keyboard.