On 23 Jul 2015, at 17:38, Marc Espie wrote:

Not surprisingly, as the patch clearly shows, the problem is right smack
in the middle of USE_PAM code.

I wouldn't call that an OpenSSH bug. I would call it a systemic design flaw in PAM. As usual. LOTS of security holes in authentication systems stem from PAM. Why ? Because that stuff is over designed. Difficult to configure. Gives you MORE than you need to hang yourself several times over. It's been that
way for as long as I can remember.

I recall discussing things with one of the authors of PAM, about ten years ago (forgive me for not remembering names at this point). What struck me is that it looks as if PAM wasn't designed to be secure. It's an authentication system, yet it's surprisingly easy to get it to fail open. Yet it's complex enough that there are bad interactions all over the place. Heck, you have
to write software defensively if you want PAM to not fuck you over.

It happens that I'm setting up some new (to me) RHEL 7 systems right now,
and way too much time has been spent fighting with PAM (and I'm not done
yet).  So I'll energetically agree with everything Marc says here.  Just
a few days ago I was talking with one of other systems-programmers here
at RPI saying how all of PAM should be ripped out and done over.  We
happened to be talking about a different failure scenario, but it (PAM)
has always been a headache for me, almost every time I've dealt with it.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     dro...@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   g...@freebsd.org