Axton <axton.grams <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Stuart Henderson <stu <at>
spacehopper.org>
> wrote:

> > > FWIW, I just read that Netgate (i.e. pfSense) committed
QuickAssist
> > > crypto accel support into FreeBSD 10.2 [possibly a private
branch??] for
> > > some ciphers.  Apologies, but I'm completely failing to find the
message
> > > that mentioned it on the pfSense mailing list, right now.
> > >
> > > I don't know enough about FreeBSD's cryptodev engine to know if
any of
> > > that work can be used here.
> >
> > One problem with that codebase is that it's US crypto.
> >

> This pdf from Intel makes reference to OCF-Linux, a Linux port of the
> OpenBSD/FreeBSD Cryptographic Framework (OCF) as it relates to
QuickAssist.
> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-
papers/communications-quick-assist-paper.pdf

> From what I am seeing, there is a Kernel module and userland pieces
> available for Linux and FreeBSD to support this capability.  In
addition to
> Stuart's point on the US crypto code base as it relates to export
> restrictions, it is also hardware designed by a US company for strong
> crypto.
>
> Axton

Intel QuickAssist could also only be used for the compression stuff
without crypto things, so it is not touched by the US export regulations
and will not bringing you in trouble as I see it right, and yes for
sure there must be something that can be used by OpenBSD to gain more
compression likes for;
- Apache webservers
- speeding up Snort
- Point to Point links over the Internet
- Tape compression
- Backup compression
- benefit Load balancers (ARPbalance over CARP)
- Storage file compression/decompression

And no adapters are needed if you are using Intel CPUs or SoCs
with support for QuickAssist technology.

Would be great to speed up also things such
- VPN connections
- OpenVPN connections
- S/FTP up- and downloads

The linux guys at todays go an easy way by shooting a
used Comtech AHA636PCIe adapter and gaining up to 5 GBit/s
either to speed up Apache webservers or OpenVPN connections,
easy to shoot a eBay for $30 bucks. So this can be a benefit
to support QuickAssist because no extra hardware to buy is needed!