turning out rather difficult to find a case that's small enough to fit. I'd
really like to use an itx system with multiple onboard ethernet jacks and
cram it into something like a MiniBox M350 or Antec ISK110, but I'm not sure

A Lanner FW7525 or even an Alix APU don't seem to be much larger...

They're not, but they also lack a bunch of features we need.

This is a little off-topic, but I should clarify that although this device's primary purpose is a firewall+router, it also has to provide a handful of other network related services that set a few requirements vis a vis hardware. Pre-fab appliance type devices always seem to fail at least one of these requirements. They also don't address the separate NICs issue, so if it turns out that that's not a problem anyway, a mini-itx board would be a much better choice for our situation.