On 29.07.2015 16:31, Gregory Edigarov wrote:
On 07/29/2015 03:46 PM, Atanas Vladimirov wrote:

Thanks for the hint.
Actually I modified syslog.conf to begin with

++wdr4900
*.* /var/log/w4900
+*

because I wanted all records from OpenWRT router to be in one place (/var/log/w4900).

It seems that the real problem/misunderstanding was the part with /etc/hosts.
Why syslogd doesn't use /etc/resolve.conf?
Because at the time of developing the patch (I was developing it for
myself) I wanted it to be as small and as less invasive as possible.
I could have made it work with the resolver, but that was:
1. more invasive
2. less secure
3. it wouldn't be accepted
I got it. Thanks for your work.

If you need more complex log processing, you _should_ look at
different projects like rsyslog, syslog-ng or nxlog.
I don't need anything more complex. That's why I use OpenBSD.
I think that it *may* be a good idea to add a note in SYSLOG.CONF(5) about /etc/hosts.