>>> I think cert.pem should move to the etc set, so you can remove
>>> CAs from the file (as well as add new ones) without risk of those
>>> changes getting reverted.
>>>
>>> Downside: CA changes will then only take effect after running
>>> sysmerge. Is that a problem?
>>
>> I think it is. This is the same as with /etc/examples: less stuff to
>> merge, less errors to happen.
>
> cert.pem is pretty much a required file, we can't just move it to examples/.
> For people who don't touch it, it's a simple no-touch sysmerge update.
> For people who do, having sysmerge ask about merging it is a lot safer
> than just overwriting.

No, I didn't want to move /etc/ssl/cert.pem it to /etc/examples. I
think that its current contents could be provided in other way...

>> I'd ask another question: why can't software use /etc/ssl/myown.pem,
>> or /etc/ssl/*.pem, ever, instead of /etc/ssl/cert.pem? This will make
>> "trust" and "untrust" operations as simple as possible. Noone in
>> healthy mind would place junk in /etc/ssl anyway, right?
>
> Some software allows you to set a different certificate file; other
> software doesn't. Patching everything in ports that verifies SSL certs
> to allow the user to specify an alternative file would just be insane.

Hm-m, I always tried to live in a separate room with SSL beasts. Now I
realize that I saved a lot of nerves myself, and as a result I'm
living in a pink pony world. Thanks for getting back to the ground.

I thought that there was some "default" in OpenSSL (and its
decendants) that programs tends to use. Now I realize there is no such
place. Okay, this variant gets busted.

> And of course then there's no single way to tell programs to use the
> alternative file; "ftp -S cafile=/path/to/cert.pem",
> "env SSL_CERT_FILE=/path/to/cert.pem lynx"
>
>> Or we may ship /etc/ssl/base.pem in base tgz, and install
>> /etc/ssl/cert.pem -> base.pem at installation time. This way things
>> will work by default, and if you need to have your own trust path, you
>> just change symlink. What do you think?
>
> That doesn't really help. One common scenario is wanting to add a
> single CA to the standard file, but otherwise pick up updates (e.g. with
> sysmerge), this method doesn't allow that.

Well, I see four scenarios:

1. Using the defaults supplied with OpenBSD only. Typical for home/personal use.

2. Use the defaults supplied with OpenBSD, and one or more additional
CAs. Typical for corporate use.

3. Use personal set of CAs. Usually means either white-, or
blacklisting entries from "base" certs pack.

After more thinking I see that symlink idea is not good. But we can do
some other thing:

1. Have "base" certs installed into /etc/examples/certs.pem.
2. Additional certs, if any, should go into /etc/ssl/local.pem.
3. Have sysmerge handle certs specially: comparing not (old)
/etc/examples/cert.pem with /etc/ssl/cert.pem, but
/etc/examples/cert.pem+/etc/ssl/local.pem vs. /etc/ssl/cert.pem. In
case they do match, sysmerge would regenerate /etc/ssl/cert.pem by
concatentaing (new) /etc/examples/cert.pem and /etc/ssl/local.pem.

What do you think?

--
  WBR,
  Vadim Zhukov