On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 01:08:10PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:
> Jona Joachim wrote:
> > Thank you very much for the write-up! I'm looking into buying hardware
> > to build a small OpenBSD home router and this looks interesting.
> > You say that the machine will not be able to serve as an IPSEC gateway.
> > Is that when you consider Gigabit ethernet or do you think that even a
> > 10 Mbit connection will require too much computational power to do
> > IPSEC on this machine?
>
> For comparison, md5 -t:
> Time   = 2.198556 seconds
> Speed  = 45484399.760570 bytes/second
>
> I don't use IPsec, and I notice that Ubiquiti don't mention it as a selling
> point for the device. I would probably not use the edgerouter for anything too
> far outside what the adverising materials say (just running openbsd instead).
>
> > You also mention the usb driver which is not so reliable. I don't see a
> > USB port on the machine. Is this an internal bus? I would be interested
> > to use it with hostapd with a usb wifi nic.
>
> The flash storage inside is attached via USB.
>
> As for power, it's a 12W supply. I'll have to hook it up to a meter and
> measure. Update on that later.
>
> I would say it's an interesting alternative if you're specifically looking for
> a non-PC router. I'm not sure it's the best router platform in general.

Slightly off-topic:

Ubiquiti released recently a new router named EdgeRouter X. 49 USD, 5
gigabit ports, 5W, dual-core 800Mhz, 256MB.

It's a MIPS32, so if some developer is looking for a new platform for
OpenBSD... :P . The processor is licensed from Imagination, which I
guess that is more open than Cavium. I have not found a dmesg yet.

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeRouter_X_DS.pdf

http://www.embeddeddeveloper.com/cores/documents/MIPS32_1004K_rev1.pdf

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info