On 08/23/2015 05:03 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2015-08-23, n...@nawi.is <n...@nawi.is> wrote:
>
>> (like other tools promotes) ? The reason why I ask is, I want to rip and
>> don't want to control each disc after ripping (nothing like could another
>> tool had more or better functions). Or maybe this function is overrated
> There are tools in ports, notably audio/cdparanoia, that claim to
> go through great effort to add "extra-robust data verification,
> synchronization, error handling and scratch reconstruction capability."
>
> That was important in the 1990s, but I don't know if it actually
> makes any sense or even works with modern drives.

(Some) Modern drives are much better than older ones.

However, the extremely variable quality of CD pressing and the
widespread use of CD-R to distribute short runs instead
of paying for a master has made the job of reading the disc harder.
Damage to discs from air pollution and salt spray is still
a problem.

Cdparanoia reads the raw data stream before high-level error correction
in the drive. That's available on (almost) every modern drive.
The actual RF stream as eight-to-14 modulated bits is not
available on any drive I've heard of. The decoded subframes are available
on some drives but cdparanoia doesn't process them.

By performing the low level processing it can presumably
do somewhat better error correction than the drives. Most importantly,
it can report cases where the drive would mask errors by
replacing the bad data with interpolated (stuff). It also rereads
any sector in error and does overlapped reads to be sure no
data has been lost between reads. In some cases, drives duplicate
data which is also detected.

I strongly recommend cdparanoia as the best cd-audio reading
program I've found. There may be ones (as above) which reach down
yet another level. I've found that using a good drive (good
manufacture and not used to death) only 1 out of 750 of
my random collection of discs can't be read successfully.

Geoff Steckel