A small office isn't that much different from a home server.

It's not actually a small office, that's just the best analogy I could think of.

see, that more than really wanting to know if you'd be ok with mp,
you're seeking validation to go through with a single core.

Well... that's kind of the same thing though, isn't it? Hypothetically, if I have a single core with a speed of "1" vs say a dual core where each core has a speed of ".75", I'm getting the impression that the dual will end up being likely slower, given that pf is currently single threaded and the other stuff isn't accounting for much overhead. Even though the total computational power of the dual core would be 50% more, that extra power is effectively unusable.

If you're
only using pf, dhcpd and dns server, it will work. But don't expect it
to scale too well if your small office becomes a medium sized office.

Again, it's not actually an office, and it won't need to scale, at least not by much.