I had this happen once before in the long long ago.

I wound up creating a new nfs server with an export of the same name.
The client was then able to dismount.
Certainly a PITA, a reboot though cause for self loathing may be simpler.

If you mount from fstab in the future make sure you soft mount it.

Dot Yet wrote:
Hello,

I've a stale nfs mount stuck on one of the client machines. The NFS server
was powered down and decommissioned, but the client did not umount the nfs
directory beforehand. Is there a way for me to clean up the stale nfs
connection on the client side without restarting the machine? I've tried
umount -f, but that did not help.

Let me know if there is a simpler way.

Thanks,
dot.

--
Dag H. Richards  ( no title / no lettres )

The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.

This message may or may not contain proprietary information.
Since it is being relayed by SMTP across an unknown number of
relays to its destination, using a protocol that is traditionally
plain ASCII, it's silly to pretend it is still confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
there is simply nothing I can do about that. Attempting to bind you
to some destruction protocol through this windbag sig paragraph is
Quixotic at best..