When I first install OpenBSD there is a phase where I choose file sets
like base57.tgz which it then downloads and untars. Then for upgrades I
can check out the CVS tree and build and install the patch branch or
whatever.

One thing that isn't yet clear to me is what one has to do with the
other. For instance, does the patch branch include everything for which
there is a file set? Does the installation of the freshly built stuff
from CVS retain any awareness of which file sets were originally chosen
during installation? If there is documentation explaining this
relationship, feel free to just point me to it.

-- Mark