I faced a similar conundrum and in the end went for an HP Microserver G8. They
have 4 sata bays, plus as card slot. They have USB3. ILO remote management.
Very quiet and cheap. I pimped mine up a bit with more memory and a CPU
supporting VT-d:

https://www.quernus.co.uk/2015/08/26/upgrading-hp-microserver-g8-with-xeon/

I wanted ZFS for storage and OpenBSD due to easier IPSec configure and general
networking and security awesomeness. So I went for hybrid approach and run
OpenBSD under bhyve on FreeBSD:

https://www.quernus.co.uk/2015/07/27/openbsd-as-freebsd-router/

This gave me the best of both worlds on a single physical box.

-Matt

—
Matt Hamilton
Quernus
m...@quernus.co.uk
+44 117 325 3025
49b Easton Business Centre
Felix Road, Easton
Bristol, BS5 0HE

Quernus Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales. Registered number:
09076246