This is an interesting conversation. I have no IT background as well but I
found the openbsd community, operating system, logic, and culture to be
anally retentive about how one can maintain a "higher" level of privacy and
security compared to its counterparts, by default.

I figured it is appealing because there are so many factors to a newcomer
(networking, ssh, files, bios, installation, checksums, drivers, hardware,
software, omg, blah blah blah) and if the operating system is not closed as
much as possible then the new user remains clueless about the potential
attack surfaces or vectors (ways to attacks). However, I like the OpenBSD
approach of closing mostly everything and if you do want a specific
service in your architecture, you actually have to suffer to figure out how
a service works then enable it so essentially you are hacking your machines
for more "convenience" or "usability" which gives you more insight to how a
human or machine could potentially break in.

I initially had the intention to use openbsd as virtual machines but
there's too much magic in VMs even when taking into account the cost
savings of virtualizing 1 computer into multiple "logical" computers (in
other words, making the computer think that it is actually multiple
machines by splitting the computing power, storage, and memory). Now, I'd
rather run everything as low level as possible without making it
prohibitively expensive. I've heard that there are authors that can write
scripts or code that can traverse across the hypervisor( software things
that virtualizes a machine to make it think that it is many machines) so
I'd rather stay away from that in the production environment. Using virtual
box to run openbsd on a vm is still helpful for testing and learning but I
do not think that production stuff should be run as a vm if one is anally
retentive about achieving higher levels of security/privacy in a insecure
environment like the internet. I definitely have fallen into that boat.

Now I guess I understand the comment when I got introduced to internet
security about things depending on the specific use cases.

In the end, there is no such thing as pure security or privacy but there
are definitely ways to increase the threshold, resources, and time needed
to compromise a system. That is the best we humans can do currently in this
current society. With that said, it is still worth doing.

Thanks for maintaining and keeping OpenBSD available.

--
danny nguyen
linkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/danny-n/7/b63/379>