On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Julesg wrote:

> So I spent yesterday putting up a nice OpenBSD box;  Lot's of space, very
> fast -- and first thing today I discovered that EGCS does not equal GCC.
>
> I'd like to know what's involved in removing EGCS and installing GCC?
>
> And if you aren't a compiler person, my guess is that this not a trivial
> thing to do;  And this has nothing to do with what I like, or even which is
> better;  I have lot's of code that simply bombs!  Even using "-g" I can't say
> "br main" in gdb.  It bombs BEFORE execution -- though it works fine on gcc
> on FreeBSD.

Please wrap your lines. And next time include some details. Check
www.openbsd.html/report.html and mail.html.

If your code bombs, my advice would be to check the code, not
change compiler. OpenBSd has some more restrictive memory management,
which proabbly has triggered a bug in your code.

Depending on platform, OpenBSD uses gcc 2.95 or gcc 3.3.5, both
modified to suit our needs.  You cannot switch compilers without
breaking things.

As for crashing before main is called: that might happen, but you
still have a core file which can help you spot the problem.

> So I already know the problem, it's memory -- I come pretty close to the
> limit's of the environment.
>
> So, has anyone swapped compilers re OpenBSD?

What makes you think that will solve you problem?

        -Otto