Aha got it.

So then I'll just learn that sector 80 and up are "safe" for "user data",
and it's up to all users to take care that any non-UFS/swap/RAID partitions
never go below 80.

But how does the behavior of the first added partition by default
overlapping the disklabel "save butts" -

Does this behavior fill any practical function today, and also when the
user (me) makes there be no overlap, could/do I break anything?

Just to really understand the practical impact.