Hi there,

I have a spamd running in greylisting mode and maintain my own blacklist that I update manually. So far so good yesterday I just did a quite radical adding to my blacklist :) and I noticed my outgoing traffic jumped from around 500mb per day to 3,2gb per day. I checked the traffic with tcpdump and it was no strange traffic going on just my mailports and the 25 for the spamd. So my question is, could the radical adding of IPs cause this (and yeah its a lot because I added some ranges)? As far as I understand it when some IP is on a blacklist it get redirected to spamd right away by pf and then I get some traffic going on. If a IP is not on the blacklist and not known Greylisting jumps in an sends the server away to come back later to decide if it goes through or on the blacklist. So by adding a lot of possible spammer on a black list in the first place I generate traffic with them.

Could someone confirm this ?

Regards

--
Markus Rosjat    fon: +49 351 8107223    mail: ros...@ghweb.de

G+H Webservice GbR Gorzolla, Herrmann
Königsbrücker Str. 70, 01099 Dresden

http://www.ghweb.de
fon: +49 351 8107220   fax: +49 351 8107227

Bitte prüfen Sie, ob diese Mail wirklich ausgedruckt werden muss! Before you
print it, think about your responsibility and commitment to the ENVIRONMENT