On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 08:51:06AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > I just found out that ypcipher=old is no longer supported in login.conf.
>
> That is correct.
>
> We have deprecated and removed the legacy ciphers.  Passing such simple
> hashes over ethernet in 2015 is not best practice.
>
> > Since I have a mixed platform lab network using YP (FreeBSD servers) I am
> > curious if anyone has some experience of how portable blowfish is as a
> > cipher for YP passwords.
>
> Don't know if they are compatible.  Blowfish itself has had a few
> generations.  There was the original in 2001 or so, soon followed by a
> fix in 2002(?).  Then a few years ago a Linux version of blowfish was
> found to have a bug in rare configurations, but to keep everyone safe
> we all adopted some small changes and made a newer version -- $2b$

I made some tests.  A $2b$ password generated on OpenBSD 5.8 works for
FreeBSD 10.1, but not for SLES 10 nor Ubuntu 14.04.

> > FreeBSD man pages say that they support it.  I also have lots of old and new
> > linux clients and just a few OpenBSD clients in the network.  Linux as usual
> > shines being badly documented so I can not find out if any of those support
> > blowfish.  Therefore I ask this list if anyone knows about this?
> >
> > Are there more password ciphers planned for the future e.g sha256 and
> > sha512?
>
> No, we will not be adding those.
>
> Those simple hashes do not provide the future-proof, high-cost-to-crack
> features of bcrypt, which has made it successful as industry staple.
> The dumb hashes even arrived years after bcrypt, seems likely the result
> of choosing ideas "not invented by openbsd"

Ouch!  And I have not seen any other upcoming ciphers mentioned.  These seem
to be state of the art in the Linux world :/

> > Do you have any other tips on how to handle logins in a mixed OS YP network?
>
> These days, I would recommend using YP in fewer places.  I wrote the
> code, but even I don't use it.  Each time I make changes that need testing
> in a YP environment, my test group has shrunk again...

I guess I will have to look into LDAP, then.

Thank you for your clear answers!