On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 5:02 AM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> On 2015-10-19, Paolo Aglialoro <paol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Some devices get chown()ed during normal system operation, see fbtab(5).
>>
>> Does this mean that write access on files in /dev is limited just to
>> permissions change and, therefore, just some bytes of change in the
>> filesystem? This seems pretty much acceptable for me in terms of CF
>> wear-off, if it does not happen with a high frequence.
>
> Timestamps are updated as well. But I don't think wear-off is really
> a problem for any kind of normal use. It's certainly less of a problem
> than the need to handle a separate /dev partition and make sure that
> things are kept in-sync through OS updates.

Note that FFS, when not mounted with softdeps, will delay writing out
inode updates *for device files* when all that's being updated is the
timestamps.  They get flushed to disk when the vnode is reclaimed,
which is probably only when the filesystem is unmounted when shutting
down.  That was a nice little enhancement we merged from FreeBSD over
a year ago.

Philip Guenther