--- Tom Cosgrove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> :
> > then, when I press RETURN and attempt to
> >
> > # fsck_ffs /dev/rsd0a
> > ** /dev/rsd0a
> > cannot alloc 36537985 bytes for typemap
> > #
> >
> > while dmesg also says I have:
> >
> > real mem  = 1072472064 (1047336K)
> > avail mem = 972025756 (949244K)
>
> This message comes from setup() in
> /usr/src/sbin/fsck_ffs/setup.c,
> after it has performed a lot of other allocations.
>
> How big is the partition on this disk?  How full is
> it?  You probably
> do need to put more memory in the machine to fsck
> this disk.
>
> See FAQ 14.7
> (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#LargeDrive),
> under
> "fsck(8) time and memory requirements".
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,
thanks for the reply.  I'm sorry I didn't attach
disklabel.  It is one partition.  So it's advertised
as a 300GB usb drive, the partition is roughly that
size.  But I have 1GB of memory in the machine (and it
looks like it's all being detected as described
earlier in dmesg).  And I had read the time and memory
requirements, and the rule of thumb is 1MB (of
available) RAM for 1GB of disk, which I believe I have
covered a few times over.  I made sure of this when I
created the obscenely large partition a year ago. I do
believe it is fairly full.  sd0a is the only partition
that is not coming up clean as also described before.
I don't mind waiting for really long fsck times,
therefore I thought I could get away with the large
partitions.  Any other ideas/analysis?  thanks

I'll type in a copy of my fstab....
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0h /home ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0d /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0g /usr ffs rw,nodev 1 2
/dev/wd0e /var ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0i /data ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd1a /mnt/data1 ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd2a /mnt/data2 ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd3a /mnt/data3 ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/sd0a /mnt/data4 ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2

and the disklabel on sd0a says (pardon any typo
mistakes pls)

type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: OneTouch II
flags:
byles/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 286188
total sectors: 586114704
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0          # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0 # microseconds
drivedata: 0

#    size     offset   fstype     [fsize bsize cpg]
a:  586112992     32   4.2BSD    2048 16384 323 # Cyl
 0*-286187
c:  586114704      0   unused       0     0     # Cyl
 0 -286188*
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com