On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 12:02:18AM +0100, Joerg Jung wrote:
> The problem with the MacBook8,1 is the USB trackpad/keyboard is connected
> via SPI internally.  No SPI driver in OpenBSD.
> Moreover, the internal SSD is connected via NVMe, also not supported.
>
> Also, both seem not really working in any other open source OS yet.
> See here http://moepi.net/?page_id=213
>
> Interesting is, MacBookPro12,1 seems to use same SPI Trackpad as well,
> but (ACPI?) behaves differently and seems working using Linux, see here:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-acpi/msg61848.html

Perhaps all the "Force Touch" trackpads are SPI connected?

> > His solution was a
> > USB keyboard and a USB hub. I didn't have either handy but may try that
> > later today. In the case of the 12-inch Retina MacBook, there is only
> > that single USB-C port so I'm not sure if the USB hub was needed for any
> > reason other than to provide at least two ports (one for USB flash drive
> > and one for USB keyboard).
>
> No real success here, the USB 3.x hub I tried was passive (likely not enough
> power)
> and crashed the machine on attach/detach.

It sounds like the MacBook8,1 does not work for now then. That's too
bad. I wonder if the MacBookPro11,4 (2015 15-inch with integrated
graphics) also has the same SPI trackpad? I wonder if it also has
storage issues with OpenBSD?

My goal is to document how well OpenBSD works on all the recent Apple
hardware I can. I'm intending to purchase a MacBookPro11,1 (2014
13-inch) which it sounds like from the thread works pretty well. I am
interested to find out if the SD card slot works.

I'm also hoping to find out more about the storage, SD card, and
trackpad of the MacBookPro11,4 (2015 15-inch with integrated graphics)
and also of the MacBookPro11,2 (2014 15-inch with integrated graphics).
Both of these machines still have Haswell chips (unlike the
MacBookPro12,1).

The MacBookAir6,1 (2013/2014 11-inch MacBook Air) I have works very well
in all respects but since it's the 11-inch it does not have an SD card
and my MacBookAir7,2 (2015 13-inch MacBook Air) works reasonably well
but lacks X acceleration (due to Broadwell) and the brightness cannot be
adjusted with xbacklight(1). The SD card slot also is not detected in
any way. I'm hoping to get some feedback on the SD card slot on the
MacBookAir6,2 if possible as well.

Bryan