> > What usb are you using as
> > the ones i tried a while back weren't much good though there have been
> > changes to the drivers since so probably worth trying again?

USB wireless devices are usually quite flaky at the miniUSB connector
end (or need re-soldering, and cables malfunction over time), rarely
have hostap mode, and are a total nuisance to use.

My netbook (2010) arrived with Atheros AR-9285 which is athn(4) miniPCIe
half length, you can surely find similar devices online cheap and stick
it in a PCI to PCIe adaptor (electrical converter only).  It works OK
in hostap mode verified and using it frequently.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/athn.4

> For USB I am using the run(4) driver for Ralink 802.11n product
> Netsys980000N but my head hurts a bit while using it.

The run(4) devices do NOT currently support hostap mode.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/run.4

You can look for a TP-Link (cheap) high power device with an Atheros
chipset, these are usually noisy but still work above average.  I have
a TL-WN7200ND, it is run(4) and works fine in client only mode.

You're most probably imagining the headache part or you have some sort
of astigmatism (or another eye focus related condition you're unaware
of), go "see" an optician who can also fix your wireless power rating
psychosomatic (look and) feel.

> Not so good for
> long-term use. :-) Works extremely well though, very long-range. But
> still, looking for PCI/PCIe.
>
> http://www.dx.com/p/netsys-980000n-2-4ghz-4200mw-high-power-802-11b-g-n-150mbps-usb-wi-fi-wireless-network-adapter-93722#.Vled1noy30M

This is very likely false rating as the USB 2.0 port is rated 500 mA at
5 V DC (which usually drops to 4.75 V under full load) delivering up to
2500 mW at maximum power drain.  Probably would be interesting to
actually ask the maker what's this stupid lie and see what they come up
with.  Also with these phoney devices, the 9 dBi antennas are usually
just 5 dBi in a longer plastic casing, an incredibly brain damaged trick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB