"Constantine A. Murenin" writes:
> On 8 December 2015 at 19:26, Anthony J. Bentley <anth...@anjbe.name> wrote:
> > Giancarlo Razzolini writes:
> >> One of the main benefits of the TLS wouldn't only be to render
> >> impossible for anyone to know which pages you're accessing on the site,
> >> but also the fact that we would get a little more security getting the
> >> SSH fingerprints for the anoncvs servers. Having them in clear text as
> >> they are today, isn't very secure.
> >
> > Another attack currently possible against www.openbsd.org is changing
> > the https://openbsdstore.com links to http://openbsdstore.com, and
> > running sslstrip on that. Or the PayPal links...
>
> For real!  And yet another attack currently possible against
> www.openbsd.org is being able to view the web-site from any OpenBSD
> release, even the early ones that did include lynx in base
> (http://mdoc.su/OpenBSD-2.3/lynx.1), yet are surely missing not only
> TLSv1.2 (if not OpenSSL in the first place!), but the requisite CA
> entries in their corresponding cert.pem file as well (that is, if such
> file was even present).

Why even bring up OpenBSD 2.3? Anyone running that 19 years after its
release has much bigger problems than not being able to connect to
www.openbsd.org.

> And if you're in Kazakhstan, it's also possible to view
> www.openbsd.org without any issues or security warnings, and will
> continue being so even after 2016-01-01 when the new telecommunication
> directive takes force.  (Or was the feature to ignore invalid
> certificates already added to lynx nowadays?)

I can't tell if you're saying it's a *good* thing that http provides no
notice that your connection is compromised. Are you serious?

Look, the whole CA model comes with a lot of baggage. Let's Encrypt has
elements of a new approach but is still tied to that way of thinking.
Talking on misc@ won't make www.openbsd.org more secure.

But you're defending telnet in 2015.