OK,

Here is more updates on this after now 3 weeks of testing any possible
variation and configurations.

I finally find a way to have it stable. I don't like it, but it works.
72 hours so far, or close to it.

May be it wasn't notice before because I get the feeling that it is
mostly use in NAT setup, so the issue doesn't show up for most users.

One thing I have to say, I would love a way to DISABLE the NAT
capability oppose to have the system try it by default. I also
understand that switch is NOT something love and I also agree. Not sure
what the RFC say about it, but anyway I thought that if oyu know you do
not have NAT, nor will you have it, it would be wise to make sure it
wouldn't try it ever for any reason.

Now what works, and ONLY that combination actually works, is this one:

Remote site:
ikev2 Ouellet passive from em0 to 108.56.142.37 from 0.0.0.0/0 to
66.63.50.16/28 peer 108.56.142.37 srcid tunnel.realconnect.com dstid
gateway.ouellet.us lifetime 0 bytes 0

Local site:
ikev2 Ouellet active from re0 to 66.63.5.250 from 66.63.50.16/28 to
0.0.0.0/0 peer 66.63.5.250 srcid gateway.ouellet.us dstid
tunnel.realconnect.com lifetime 0 bytes 0

if you remove both or even only one of

srcid gateway.ouellet.us dstid tunnel.realconnect.com it iwll not work.

If you do not include

lifetime 0 bytes 0

It will not work, so, ALL 4 elements needs to be there for the remote
site NOT try to switch to NAT-T and then kill the flows and the only way
to restore them is via the source restart of iked

I now this may not make sense, but I see the

Dec 11 19:19:01 tunnel iked[9794]: ikev2_msg_send: INFORMATIONAL request
from 66.63.5.250:4500 to 108.56.142.37:4500 msgid 1, 80 bytes, NAT-T

messages with NAY other configurations and I trial ALL possible
variation of it to find out what works.

I would have assume that to setup the lifetime to not expired would have
done it, even if you shouldn't do that as it weaken the ipsec
configuration as it rely on rekey to make =it strong, it iwll still try
NAT-T even if set to never expire.

Something has to be wrong in the logic here. I started to look at the
code, nothing yet and I am not sure I will find why, may be Reyk might
have an idea, as he wrote it, but I am also sure he is very busy with
other things.

But that's the final results of 3 weeks or research and frustration on
this. Now I can get it stable. Well 72 hours anyway so far, so will see,
but that's what all the tests provide and i hope that somehow it is
useful to someone and may be allow to find why when NAT is not in the
path it will regardless try to do NAT-T. That part doesn't make sense to me.

What I had below is still true, but the same scenario with NAT-T will
show up, just somewhat less frequently, but still present. Above so far,
none.

Best,

Daniel