On 2015-12-22, Joost Runsink <runs...@runbox.com> wrote:
> Some modem (Draytek comes to mind) allow you to set the modem in bridge
> mode. At that point it is a atm to ethernet converter. Have a look at
> Soekris and Alixboard, used a lot for this exact task.

You can avoid Linux with this approach and careful selection, but then
you're probably running VxWorks instead. But at least this way your other
OS is little more than a media converter, only the OpenBSD box needs to
deal with externally sourced IP traffic..

Most ADSL "modems" can bridge ADSL to Ethernet which is fine for PPPoE
ISPs or those doing IP directly (fairly rare) but they won't usually
work with PPPoA-only ISPs, exception being the couple of Draytek
models that 'translate' PPPoA to PPPoE, and some old speedtouch boxes
do the same to PPTP. But for most ISPs that's not needed and a normal
bridge is enough.

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 07:32:57PM +0000, Frank White wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Yes I am sorry, I want build a small embedded system with openbsd to
>> connect a lan to an adsl line. I want all the devices with openbsd,
>> included the adsl modem. So the embedded system must have one or more
>> ethernet nic and a modem.

Doing this strictly OpenBSD-only is going to be a _lot_ of work unless
you find a ueagle(4) device from a museum and run an ancient OpenBSD
release from before the driver and subsystem was removed.