Jan Stary wrote on 01/17/16 14:29:
After installing various UNIX-like systems today,
I realized what the problem is with the installer:
it makes installing any other system a DAMN ORDEAL.

The installer is what initially addicted me to OpenBSD.

Back in the late 90s until about 2003 I used various Linux distros. I settled on Slackware for many years because it seemed the most straightforward and transparent. I could tell it was a bit different and simpler than the other Linux distros. Then I read that Slackware borrowed many ideals from BSD. I had not heard of BSD. After some research, I installed FreeBSD 4.8, which became my OS of choice for both server and desktop for 2 years.

Then, for some reason, I became more interested in security. I think I was also having stability issues with FreeBSD 5.x and was growing tired of the complexity of the system. So I looked into OpenBSD. The simplicity of the system, from install to management, immediately blew me away. I migrated all my systems to OpenBSD 3.6 in early 2005 and never looked back. I have been running OpenBSD exclusively for more than 10 years now. I can't be happier with the developers and the directions and decisions they make. They have created a rock solid OS. It runs everything from my business to my kid's media center.

I used to write device drivers for hard real-time embedded systems in a previous life. I hope to someday have the time to contribute code to my favorite OS. In the meantime, I support the project with donations. I don't know what I would do without this OS. Thank you!