Short version: I have carefully tested OpenBSD installation
instructions for an extremely flexible personal
organizer program.  It does things differently, is text-mode/keyboard
only (for now), doesn't require X, and is very efficient to use.  It
doesn't have pretty knobs and buttons but is very good at what it
does.  Details on what it is now, what it is not, and plans for future
are at http://onemodel.org, especially under the About link and
sublinks.

Detailed version:
If you've ever used emacs org-mode, to-do list programs or the like,
this might be of interest.  It is Free.  It flexibly, easily treats
knowledge as data in an object network, instead of just as piles of
words, and is physically very efficient to navigate and use (keyboard
only).

I've tested carefully and used it for some months on OpenBSD.  I think
it could be useful to some here.  It is the best personal organizer I
have ever used: I wrote it to suit myself (& hopefully others: that's
what I'm trying to find out).  It is oriented to those who like the
keyboard & can read the screen, and who want to record notes and
manipulate them *fast*, in simple or arbitrarily complex structures:
basically I try to break knowledge down to an atomic level--
relationships and attributes, aka an object model--as a side effect of
simply using the system.  Everything one needs to know (or nearly so)
is shown on the screen, and ... I hope some of you love it.

There's a free .jar file download, or source code and complete
instructions at github.  The source is AGPL (no offense I hope; I want
any mods to come back, for all the work I've put in).

I didn't want to package it (put it into ports) yet, until I can see if
reaction and interest warrant that....

More descriptive info & screen shots are at http://www.onemodel.org .
Look under "About", "what it is today", "future", through to the FAQs
if you're really interested in the thinking behind it.

Feedback (or flames?) welcome: this is a learning process and I hope to
make it as useful to others as I can. I invite discussion at the OneModel.org mailing lists (under the Community link) to avoid the topic becoming annoying on this list.

Best regards,

Luke A. Call
A Free, fast personal organizer for touch typists:  if you ever liked
to-do list programs, collapsible outlines, or emacs org-mode, you might
love this: http://www.onemodel.org (no mobile support yet).

Things I'd like to say to more people:  (updated 2016-1-9)
http://www.onemodel.org/1/e-9223372036854618449.html .