Yes, the Listen-on is static.  Unfortunately, changing the 0.0.0.0 in
hostname.pppoe0 breaks PPPoE.

I think I could work around this in netstart by simply sleeping until the
link comes up (or a pre-defined timer elapses) but I'm struggling to come
up with a more generic approach.  There might be more than one PPPoE
interface and more than one tunnel/PPP dependency that needs to be
accounted for.

Perhaps another approach is to rework netstart to block up to
[configurable] seconds after bringing up any PPPoE connection before
continuing.  This could default to no blocking but a maximum block period
could be defined in rc.conf.local for those who have PPPoE dependencies.

Chris