On 2016-02-20 22:23, Marcus MERIGHI wrote:
ti...@openmailbox.org (Tinker), 2016.02.20 (Sat) 15:29 (CET):
This email is an attempt to get some knowledge on how softraid works.

So many of your questions are answered if you start with bioctl(8)[1],
and continue with softraid(4)[2]. Maybe bio(4)[3] helps, too.

What's there is usually documented. What's not documented is usually not
there. Or was it the other way around? ;-)

[1]http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man8/bioctl.8
[2]http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/softraid.4
[3]http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/bio.4

Happy reading, Marcus

Marcus, I read the docs carefully, and based on them, my best understanding is still unclear on all 4 points -

* Scrub - MAYBE??? There's some words about "patrol" in the man page that could mean it's there.

* Rebuild - I think I saw some console dump of the status of a rebuild process on the net, so MAYBE or NO..?

* Hotspare - MAYBE, "man softraid" says "Currently there is no automated mechanism to recover from failed disks.", but that is not so specific wording, and I think I read a hint somewhere that there is hotspare functionality.

* Hotswap - MAYBE, this would depend on if there's rebuild. Only disconnect ("bioctl -O" I think; "bioctl -d" is to.. unmount or self-destruct a softraid?)

The man pages are sometimes over-minimalistic with respect to an individual user who's trying to learn, this is why I'm asking for your clarification.

So your clarifications would still be much appreciated.