On 2016-02-25 06:04, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
Tinker [ti...@openmailbox.org] wrote:
First, Thank you for this fantastically awesome OS.

Just curious, what are approx plans for kernel-multicore-ness next 1-2
years? (Network IO, file/disk IO)

Network SMP (and other subsystems required to support it) is the heaviest
area right now.

Are there any relevant cases today where the singlecore architecture
actually is limiting? Say on a 20-core machine doing random file and network
IO full-on.

Many, especially once you go past 4 or 8 cores.

Regarding the network, yes I heard about the multicore-ization work too. (Also I talked to someone whose router had a 700Mbps limit on his crappy hardware because of the same constraint - not too bad though haha :) )

Any guess about when might it actually become usable, 6.1, 6.2, this year, next?

I would be very curious to see if-what limits there are on file IO activity when you do it full-on completely RW on 10-20 cores and a ton of SSD:s.

If you have any guess about what probably would happen feel free to share. :)

Thanks, have a great day.