On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 02:02:22PM -0600, Claus wrote:
> On 3/3/2016 3:14 AM, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 01:54:16AM +0100, ropers wrote:
> >Won't question your need however this + vs - thing has come up often and
> >I'd like to stress out that even though both - and + are valid, use of -
> >introduces ambiguity given that - is allowed in usernames:
> >
> >     $ doas useradd -m foo
> >     $ doas useradd -m foo-bar
> >
> >Who should get mail for foo-bar@ ?
> >
> >This just doesn't happen with + because:
> >
> >$ doas useradd -m bar
> >$ doas useradd -m bar+baz
> >useradd: `bar+baz' is not a valid login name
> >$
>
> Seriously, do email hosting providers create local accounts for their users?
> I don't have a clue but I highly doubt it due the need to host multiple
> domains.

My comment wasn't focused on email providers but on email in general ;-)

The default setup for all MTA's that I know of is to map user part of an
email address to a system username. That's been the case since the first
day I got interested in hosting (pre 2k) and is still the case today. It
was the case for my .edu when I was a student & it was the case for many
of the places I worked for since then.

> The ambiguity is there unless the domain owner doesn't allow dashes in
> account names, and I can afford to make that rule for my domain.  Of course
> that doesn't help me if no one supports that. :(

Indeed, but the fact no one supports that should also hint you that this
is going against ... what everyone else does, so it's quite expected you
are going to be in a painful journey ;)

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg