It's not an AVX instruction, as Wireshark runs on a Core2Duo pre Sandy
Bridge when AVX arrived.

I agree that it looks too heavy for a P2, and last time I ran it under
*nix it would have been the gtk version, I was surprised at all the
dependencies it pulled in.

This issue is only likely to get worse, is it wise to do a CPU check,
and refuse to install some packages?

PK