My bad, in my CVS example I had a mistake, here is the correct procedure I used:

$ cd /usr
$ cvs -qd anon...@anoncvs.ca.openbsd.org:/cvs get -P ports
$ cd /usr/ports/lang/ruby
$ cvs up -r OPENBSD_5_8 1.9

But nothing happens I also tried from the same directory this command:

$ cvs up -r OPENBSD_5_8 lang/ruby/1.9

Then I just get:

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 8:16 PM, Nigel Taylor <njtaylor0...@btinternet.com>
wrote:
On 03/19/16 17:46, ML mail wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> Thanks for explaining. I now did the following
>
> $ cd /usr
> $ cvs -qd anon...@anoncvs.ca.openbsd.org:/cvs get -P ports
> $ cvs up -r OPENBSD_5_8 1.9

That wasn't what you were instructed to do you have to
cd /usr/ports/lang/ruby

So you see the 1.8 2.1 sub directories, then your adding 1.9 or
from /usr/ports
cvs up -r OPENBSD_5_8 lang/ruby/1.9

You said snorby

Requirements

    Snort
    Ruby >= 1.9.2
    Rails >= 3.0.0

Version check fix found on github....

module Snorby

   # Check Ruby Version
-  unless RUBY_VERSION.match(/^2.2/)
+  unless RUBY_VERSION.starts_with?("2.") ||
RUBY_VERSION.starts_with?("1.9")
     puts "Snorby requires Ruby version 1.9.x"
     puts "We suggest using Ruby Version Manager (RVM) https://rvm.io/
to install the newest release"
     exit 1

My me it used to look for ruby 2.2 only when not found tells you it
wants 1.9.x has been changed to look for either 2.x or 1.9.x, still they
haven't fixed.

So why trying to use 1.9? Only the 3yr old version looks for 1.9, not
what's current in github.