On 3/29/16 5:42 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2016-03-29, Jeff Ross <jr...@openvistas.net> wrote:
Greetings all!

I've been away from OpenBSD for a while and for sure I've missed more
than a few things.  Just updated a firewall in anticipation of upgrading
my server but there are things that have changed.

What has me puzzled now is the change to syslogd.  For literally years
I've run socklog from ports to replace the stock syslog with no problems
but now it simply doesn't work on 5.9 -current.

My former installations of socklog all listen to /dev/log but when I
couldn't get anything to work listening there I switched to listening to
0.0.0.0:514 but still no joy.

If anyone out there is using socklog, or possibly any alternative to
syslog, I'd sure appreciate a clue by four to get socklog running again.
OpenBSD's syslog functions now use sendsyslog(2) which doesn't use
/dev/log sockets any more.

Here is where syslogd was modified to do things this way:
http://anoncvs.spacehopper.org/openbsd-src/commit/?id=c40e16771993e74275857863c928d7f9cffe3699
- it's probably not all that complex to convert other logging daemons,
but afaik nobody has yet felt the need to do this for any of the
alternative log daemons in ports.

If you don't want to write code and want to stick with socklog,
the easiest way is probably a minimal syslogd(8) setup that
forwards everything via UDP.

Thank you, Stuart! As always, you've been very helpful. For now I'll stick to forwarding and play with the code as time permits.

Jeff