--------

Adam Thompson writes:
> On 2016-04-01 11:07, ropers wrote:
> > And if anyone has ever operated the OpenBSD installer via a
> > teleprinter, I want to hear that story.
>
> I think there's still a first-generation TI Silent 700 somewhere in my
> parents' basement.  If, when they either die and/or move out to a
> seniors' residence prior to that certain event, I should run across it,
> and I can find a compatible telephone (acoustic handset coupler,
> remember!), and can find a compatible 300bps modem to dial into, and can
> find an honest-to-god POTS phone line (I expect this to be the hardest
> part) and can find a compatible system with a serial console that can be

Well, I have the hardest part: a dial telephone (ca. 1930) with an
old-style handset and an analogue line right through the switch to
the telephone I'm talking to.

Why on earth would anybody have such a thing? The combination of a
handset with the speaker near my ear and the microphone near my
mouth plus an analogue line provides me with signal-to-noise good
enough that my aging ears can actually understand what's being said
to me, and that the listener at the other end can understand me
without the rest of the world being forced to share my end of the
conversation.

My 300bps acoustic handset coupler, however, is gathering dust in
the basement.

Bill