On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 12:36:34PM -0700, Ted Roby wrote:
> Do any of you find that when dealing with sd1 and greater in bsd.rd you
> must explicitly create these devices?

Yes. This behaviour is mentioned in FAQ 14 (14.10.1 - Installing to a
mirror) which states:

"The install kernel only has the /dev entries for one wd(4) device and
one sd(4) device on boot, so you will need to manually create more disk
devices if your desired softraid setup requires them. This process is
normally done automatically by the installer, but you haven't yet run
the installer, and you will be adding a disk that didn't exist at boot."

Have a look at:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidDI

Regards,

Erling