On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 02:18:25PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2016/04/28 08:56, stan wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 08:44:49AM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > > Stan, can you send the information that is output when you run
> > > sendbug -P as root? Just putting the whole thing inline in a
> > > reply-to-all to this mail would be fine. Please add "sysctl hw"
> > > output as well. Ideally we want a way to identify the watchdog
> > > itself rather than the general machine type etc. which is why
> > > I'm hoping they follow Microsoft's spec (which is the de-facto
> > > standard for this).
> >

> > Sorry got distracted and frgot to cc the list.
>
> OK, pity, there doesn't seem to be anything to properly identify
> the watchdog in acpi tables. Just the vendor-specific thing which
> needs reading to figure things out further. If they had followed
> the usual spec then the driver would have been *very* generally
> useful.
>
> In that case maybe the approach would be to do something similar
> to acpithinkpad, but matching SECD instead of MHKV, and then
> looking for the SEL0002 HID. But I only know a bit about how
> to find my way round the decompiled files, so ignore me if
> a real ACPI hacker steps in with a better idea ;)
>
> > hw.vendor=Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.
> > hw.product=SEL-3355
>
> An alternative might be to match on vendor/product, see the last
> commit to sys/dev/ic/re.c for how to do this, but then you're
> having to look at fixed addresses which they seem to be providing
> via acpi.

Let me apologize right here for my lack of knowledge as to low level
hardware coding.

So, given that, please help me to understand why reading the DSDT ACPI
table and finding the SEL0002 is not the correct solution here?  BTW, they
also identify an SEL0001 device, but I have not asked them what that is,
and )so far) I do not need to know. For what it is worth this hardware
vendor has been very helpful, and the corporate philosophy is to do things
"the right way". For instance, they released code to support this device for
Linux. When I talked to them, i brought up liscneing concerns with the
BSD's. The reply was, already been there, thought about that. It is dual
GPL, and BSD liscneced. Really a pleasant sunrise, as this is not in their
mainstream area of expertise. i was really pleased that the project team
had researched the OSS issues that well.