Solved.

Changing to starting tmux from $ENV, after setting & exporting LANG and
LC_ALL solved the display issue with accented characters.

This, however made the panel layout go really wonky (bad line-drawing
characters).  I use iTerm on a Mac to connect to my OpenBSD machine, and
in iTerm there's a "Treat ambigous-width characters as double width"
setting.  Unsetting this solves the panel layout problem.

Thanks to Nick for pointing me in the right directions.

I don't know if any of this helps Jan (the original poster) though...

Cheers,
Andreas

[cut]