The release notes for 5.7 included under the assorted improvements this
line item:

"Frequency scaling has been moved from apmd(8) to the kernel with an
improved algorithm."

Does this mean my CPU's frequency is being scaled automatically? Is there
any reason to run apud -A for example? I'm a little confused because
running apm with near idle CPU load always shows:

Performance adjustment mode: manual (<<my CPU max freq>> MHz)

When I do run apmd -A however, it does appear to scale the frequency
correctly:

Performance adjustment mode: auto (<<my CPU min freq>> MHz)

What's going on here?