On Tue, 28 Jun 2016, STeve Andre' wrote:

I am testing some new 8TB disks.  I've taken to doing

 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd3c bs=64k

and

 dd if=/dev/rsd3c of=/dev/null bs=64k

as a first test.  It's depressing how often I've found problems

on big disks.  Today, the read test produced an error in the messages

file I've not seen before:

Jun 28 16:17:39 paladin /bsd: sd3(umass0:1:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x28
Jun 28 16:17:39 paladin /bsd:     SENSE KEY: Aborted Command
Jun 28 16:17:39 paladin /bsd: ASC/ASCQ: Information Unit iuCRC Error Detected

So it isn't a soft read error -- what is it?  It might be useful to

indicate where the error occurred? This is the second of three

disks to be tested.  It's connected to a Thermaltake USB 3.0

disk enclosure.

I have seen CRC errors number of times when working with different USB enclosures. My guess is that either the connectors inside the boxes aren't 100% tight, the electronics is not shielded properly or it has some flaws. If I am not mistaken, it is the transfer between the HDD electronics and the controller (ie. the bridge chip) that failed.

Also see this thread:
http://marc.info/?t=109898077600008&r=1&w=2

I would also monitor the drive with smartctl from sysutils/smartmontools.

Regards,
David