Create a favicon.ico file, or ignore the error.

httpd is just reporting that the user's browser is trying to fetch
/favicon.ico and apparently it doesn't exist.  Logging that as a 404 is
standard behavior.  You don't have one so httpd reports a 404.

There are ways of telling the browser to not expect a favicon.ico or
telling it that it exists somewhere else (that perhaps doesn't exist), but
httpd in this case is really doing nothing wrong.  The wisdom of favicons
is a different story but they are standard.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1321878/how-to-prevent-favicon-ico-requests

One could argue that perhaps the web server shouldn't log favicon-related
404s...but then there will be someone trying to figure out why his/her
favicons aren't showing up and will be looking at logs.

--
andrew fabbro
and...@fabbro.org