Hi,

jsg wrote:
     Can some of you recommend what packages or package
    you use to manipulate, view, resive  .png or .img (other) imaeges
    for website content.

command-line or GUI?
For GUI, I use LaternaMagica and PRICE. I use LaternaMagica for mssive exports and resizing. A limitation is that they only save JPG and TIFF, while they open many more formats, although not .img which you cite.

I'm biased of course, being the author of both programs. The mantra is that if you need something, you can code it yourself. It takes some time though so you can't apply it ot everything!

Riccardo