On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Edgar Pettijohn <ed...@pettijohn-web.com> wrote:
> On 16-07-03 22:12:34, Philip Guenther wrote:
>> Heh. Part of me wants to admonish you again for turning a knob you
>> didn't have a reason to turn, but part of me wants to thank you for
>> demonstrating that this particular knob is broken and should be
>> removed...
>
> You're welcome.  I was really trying to figure out what they were for.  I'm
> guessing
> if you have a program that is buggy you could rebuild it with the debug libs
> for
> more debugging power.  Or no?

In theory, yes, but practice doesn't really match.  We now compile
libs with -g by default, so there was little difference between the
debug and normal static libs: the debug libs had 'file' symbols for
the syscall stubs, but it's not obvious if they had any real effect on
debugger behavior for application developers.

Philip Guenther